Tuesday, December 18, 2012

THE NAME part 1

Yesterday I had my 19 week appointment...or is it 20? I really have no idea. I'm still due May 8th.  As we were going through the anatomy scan the doc asked if we wanted to know the gender. We, of course, said yes...and then acted like it wasn't the reason we were there. 

So the doctor causally said "he" a couple of times. I think Trevor caught it but I didn't. I was too concerned with checking out the 4 chamber heart and other various organs.  The doctor finally came out and said, it's a boy.  I asked him if he was SURE. Then, right on cue the parts flashed up on the screen.  Proud mom moment #1 ... my boy is not modest. He actually seemed to be happy to announce to the world what the doctor called his "wee-wee". Awesome.

So the doctor then had to rush to a c-section so we didn't get to finish the whole scan...which means I get to see the baby in 3D and 4D again on January 7th.  God must know how concrete of a person I am. I want to SEE that my boy is doing good.  This will be my 4th chance! So expect pictures then, because all I have right now is 'wee-wee' pictures, and even though the kid is proud to show them off, to me that's a bit weird.

So the name.. Miles Owen Howard.

We had a lot of criteria for the name.
1. No trendy names
2. None that end in -Aiden
3. Strangers must be able to spell it
4. Teachers will read it and know the gender
5. Unique enough that they won't have to go by a last initial.....example: Jessica H. or Jacob H.
6. Have a family connection

Miles fits all the categories 1-5 with little explanation. The family connection is important to us because we want our children to feel tied to their family, both members they know and don't know.  The meaning of Miles is soldier. All of our grandpas, along with Trevor's dad, and two of our three brothers have served/ are serving in the military.  I like to think of it as a nod to all of them and the sacrifice they made for their country.  I'm proud to have three generations (and possibly farther) involved with something they believe in. 

Part two: the middle name and reactions coming soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment